Wednesday, April 7, 2010



My cousin Duarte and Rosa Maria took me to Biscoitos yesterday. Biscuits in English, the town is named Biscoitos because of the huge lava rocks in the town look like baked biscuits. They are amazing and they line the northern part of the island making natural swimming pools. Popular place to go in June.
After, we went to a friend of my cousins house. He is a wine maker and a very nice man. His wife put out Fanta and Coca Cola for us to drink and Massa Sovada (if anyone is near a portuguese bakery you must go purchase this bread immediately). The wine maker noticed I was eating the Massa Sovada but not drinking. So he offered me soda, I said I didn't like Fanta, so then he asked me if I LIKED beer. I said yes I liked beer, but before I could say I didn't want beer he was out of his seat and in the other room getting me beer.

Just before his return my cousin Duarte leaned over and said, that it was inappropriate to drink beer in the house of a wine maker. The wine maker returned with the beer and a wine bottle that looked like it had whiskey in it. My cousin Duarte tells the wine maker that will not have beer, I will have wine. He looked confused and I did not know how to explain, especially because I didn't want wine either. ugggg, so then the wine maker and his wife asked if I wanted red or white.
This all of a sudden was a very difficult question for me, I didn't know what kind of wine he made. And I wanted so badly to act appropriate, I asked what kind he made. The wine maker didn't answer he just repeated his question. Then, he assumed I didn't know the difference in color between red and white wine and told Duarte to explain it in english.

This was a bigger issue than it needed to be and I had the Wine maker and his wife and my two cousins leaning over me trying to a force a decision. I felt small and helpless. I then turned to the wine bottle filled with whiskey looking liquid. And asked what that was. They took it for a decision and poured me a shot, my cousin explained that it is Angelica. Its a before and/or after a meal drink, its sweet, warm and absolutely divine. I felt I made an excellent choice, the wine maker made it and was pleased that I liked it so much. I was in the clear....for a minuet. I found out the wine maker made white wine by picking out details in portuguese conversation. The wine makers wife suddenly remembered that I didn't choose a wine. So when asked again what wine I wanted to drink, I said white (I typically don't drink white wine but I was trying to be polite and appropriate). As she was walking out of the room, my cousin once again leaned over my shoulder. He said it was not appropriate to drink wine right after Angelica without eating a meal. The wine is only supposed to be consumed if you are eating not as a drink to follow Angelica.
Grrr once again I had no manners. Duarte stopped the wine makers wife from leaving the room. She looked at me confused and all I could do is smile and then look at my feet.

I complimented the wine makers wife on her wonderful massa sovada and we left shortly after.
The were all so kind, working hard to make me feel at home and comfortable. They were very sweet and I hope to see them again
Future Lesson: I will just drink the Fanta.

1 comment: